Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

Walking Shoes

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Walking Shoes Empty Walking Shoes

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:28 am

Originally posted several members between 2013 and 2017.
    -----

Max

« Thread started on: Mar 14th, 2013, 04:47am »
    Hello all,

I've read that the most of the walking is over asfalt or harderd roads, so is it really necessary to wear hiking boots? Or will a type of light running shoes like asics do the trick? Thanks!

Greetings Max

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #1 on: Mar 14th, 2013, 06:45am »
    Max,
    Some people do wear what i call "running shoes," Nike, Ascics, etc. So no, boots aren't required. I haven't seen them, but i''ve even heard of a few people who walked it in sandals with no ill effects.

There are two advantages to boots that i like: 1) They are waterproof and i hate walking in wet shoes and socks, and 2) they give me more ankle support for those times when i am in the hills.

Dave

=====

Max

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15th, 2013, 03:11am »
    Thanks!

=====

nlpilgrim

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15th, 2013, 11:41am »
    I'm gonna agree with Dave on the ankle support, especially with a heavy pack on going trough your ankle will take you out for at least a day or 2 if not more.

They classify shoes, a means pure flat walking and b is mountain capable. I'm using a meindl a/b boot that can handle flat terrain just fine but helps you a lot when you are on rugged terrain.

=====

daraohuiginnca

« Reply #4 on: Jul 2nd, 2013, 10:17am »
    I used ASICS GTX trail running shoes. Very light and totally waterproof which was good when it was wet. I got loads of blisters at the beginning -- BUT these were all solved by using socks with individual toes in them.
    So I suggest regardless of what you choose for shoes get good toe socks. They stop the little fellas rubbing together.
    Alternative would have been my light KEENS hiking boots.
    I am not sure if the kjeens would have solved the blister problems but I doubt it.
    SUMMARY:
    ASICS GTX super light with toe socks.
    Change socks middle of each day for sure.
    Wide white tape - I used two rolls and that saved any blisters on heels or lower feet.
    Blister pads - for what seems inevitable.

Walk a few ten hour hikes at home with whatever you choose.

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #5 on: Jul 12th, 2013, 08:31am »
    Interesting about the toe socks and no blisters.

I had the same experience as daraohuiginnca, as i point out on the web site. Once i switched from regular socks to toe socks, all my blister problems went away.

Yet, another henro i know, and who Dara knows as well, went the opposite way. He started with the toe socks and had a lot of blister problems. He swears that the problems mostly went away (if i understood correctly) when he switched back to two layers of regular socks.

I still swear by toe socks, but apparently they aren't the answer for everyone?

Dave

=====

daraohuiginnca

« Reply #6 on: Sep 9th, 2013, 08:37am »
    Most people doing long distance hiking move to trail running shoes these days. For Henro the light trail running shoes are fine. I used SICS GTX light trail shoes with good success. I got the GTX waterproof ones that kept my feet dry even when it rained. Some suggest not getting the waterproof ones as they dont breath as well.
    No hiking boots are needed at all in my view and they would just be heavy.
    Biggest thing i found was wearing toe socks eliminated blisters in a major way. Now I only hike with toe socks. Make sure to have tape and some moleskin stuff for any blisters and keep footcare as a top priority and you will have a fantastic walk.
    oh -- make sure to bring peacefull and compassionate feelings to share as well.

=====

ingmarbeldman

« Reply #7 on: Jan 6th, 2014, 10:50am »
    I would agree with those who wear good hiking boots. I wore them and i needed them. Reason: safety. With bad weather, ending up in the mountains there are places where slipping means falling down for a couple of meters! Or at least hurting yourself badly, which means a lot of trouble.
    Second reason: good hiking boots prevent the legs from constant adjusting in order to get good balance - when you not hike on flat roads. Their firm grip on the ground does most of the work. For a short trip this would be not too important. For a trip of 1200km it is. I know, i did long trips with both good and normal shoes ( and i do have strong legssmiley)

=====

daraohuiginnca

« Reply #8 on: Jan 5th, 2015, 9:01pm »
    Update... I switched to salomon trail runners 3d gtx. The a sics toe box is too narrow for many people. The salomon are 400 gas each. I just also bought saucy ultralights that are 204 gas each so I will bring them for easy days .
    pack is now sub 4KG so weighing everything has paid off.
    now I hope to hav more energy to focus on temple details and less on logistics or planning. Peace to all. Hope to perhaps see dave in tokushima on 12 March.

=====

Aztique

« Reply #9 on: Apr 24th, 2015, 01:59am »
    I had A/B catagory hiking shoes. I was planning on going on trailrunners, but I had to switch back to my good old hiking boots because of a foot injury.

The ankle support was very nice, and indeed in wet and slippery weather it was very nice having them. Because they are pretty light they didn't bother me on the asphalt at all. In September they did get quite sweaty inside. I liked how I could walk on without having to worry about my ankle support, and go as fast as I like and don't have to worry about my chosen footing.
    Then again I can imagine when walking on the asphalt, and for example wearing ankle supported/higher trailrunners, that would be perfect. But it's personal.

=====

Alexandre

Montbell
    « Reply #10 on: Apr 27th, 2015, 06:20am »
    I have made the very silly error to start with trailling shoes that I had tested only on flat trail, and I have my foot injuried in mountain trail, especially when going downstairs.
    So I bought in Kochi, in a Mont Bell shop near the station, Montbell mountain hikking shoes (they have size 30 cm in stock !), and finish the Kochi ken without problems.

=====

Josh

« Reply #11 on: May 14th, 2015, 3:17pm »
    I wore kind of a split running/walking shoes. One thing I was really glad was that I added insoles in my shoes, so I had two soles.

For the first week my shoes were really snug... but they always had perfect cushioning.

=====

jenny123

« Reply #12 on: Oct 10th, 2017, 10:51am »
    I love to walk in the morning and i have the running shoes for my morning walk. I used to walk with listing the songs and singing the lyrics of the songs.

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2017, 10:52am by jenny123 »

=====

henrodon

« Reply #13 on: Oct 22nd, 2017, 03:14am »
    I hiked twice -- in boots in the winter and in Nike running shoes in the spring. I had no particular problems either way, though I needed to use Shoe Goo to keep the soles of the Nike's intact the last couple of weeks. Next time I'll probably wear lightweight boots since I'll carry an 8-10 kg. pack. When I walked before I had only a day-pack -- I stayed in paid lodgings every night.

This question of boots/shoes/socks comes up all the time. My feeling is that before you start on a 1200 km walk, you should know how your feet react to multi-day walks, with some full days of rain. There's no need to suffer. Do whatever's comfortable for you, in your experience.

=====

daraohuiginnca

« Reply #14 on: Oct 22nd, 2017, 6:21pm »
    Keep ypour pack below 6Kgs TOTAL including tent and you will be fine. Heavy packs destroy the soul and hurt feet. A more padded trail running shoe is good. Bring an extra insole!

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Walking Shoes Empty Re: Walking Shoes

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:29 am

Originally posted by member "Haruo" in November 2017.
    -----

Hauro

« Reply #15 on: Nov 19th, 2017, 08:12am »
    When you plan using light/soft shoes take care about the status of the soles.

I made the mistake starting with somewhat already used sole and ended the circle with nearly no sole on the outer sides of both boots. The asphalt takes a great toll on for-forest-trails shoes, I should have replaced the soles before starting the trip.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:58 pm