Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

Oki Beach and Environs

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Oki Beach and Environs Empty Oki Beach and Environs

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:24 am

Originally posted by several members between 2012 and 2017.
    -----

John Formosa

« Thread started on: Feb 29th, 2012, 05:15am »
    As you walk southward down and then northward back up the Ashizuri Peninsula, you will probably pass Oki Beach (Oki no hama) -- "probably" because there is a choice of routes, at least on the onward (northward) journey.

If you look at p. 32 you will see that you also have choice cross the beach or walk around it. I highly recommend crossing this beach at least one time (I did both ways), and also walk in and among the wooded grove between the beach and the main road (route 321). Very beautiful. It may seem silly to pinpoint one specific "beauty spot" since so much of the pilgrimage (though not all) runs through and among natural beauty but I think this beach is really special.

I stayed at Minshuku Oki Marine with a room *right* above the beach (the map seems to be deceptive). It's run by a young couple with an infant daughter. It's a great place to stay and the location cannot be beat.

Between the beach and the road, about midway down -- notice the small east-west road which looks to be about 100 or 200 meters in length -- you will find a little snack spot called Umihiko's Playground. I stopped there on the way up from Ashizuri. It's not on the map, by the way. More nice people running that little cafe.

We all find own own special spots. Everyone's pilgrimage is unique. Oki no hama was one of my favorite discoveries this winter and I recommend that you *do* take that beach route.

John

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #1 on: Mar 12th, 2012, 4:34pm »
    Okinohama is a great beach. Good choice, John.

John found great memories at a small lodge above the beach. On the other end of the budget spectrum, if you are in the mood to spend a little extra money and just get your mind off the trail for a night, in 2011 i stayed in a nice lodge/hotel just before the beach, way up on the hill. It's called "Kaiyu" and i wrote a review of it on the web site at www.shikokuhenrotrail.com/shikoku/walkingLodgingRecommendations.html. The people who run it are wonderful, outgoing, accommodating, and speak English.

For what it's worth, i agree with John, walk across the beach, it's a nice walk.

=====

Semm Detor

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17th, 2012, 11:50pm »
    I have also experience same with my family. Its some time necessary to take a long rest from your work go to beech and enjoy .

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:37 pm