Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

Where to buy Henro materials, other than temple 1

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Where to buy Henro materials, other than temple 1 Empty Where to buy Henro materials, other than temple 1

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:47 am

Originally posted by several members in January and February 2017.
    -----

FlyingDutch

« Thread started on: Jan 25th, 2017, 08:54am »
    We are planning to do the pilgrimage in few months, and due to logistic constrains, we are considering of starting the pilgrimage not at temple 1.

Will we be able to find Henro materials (stamp book, staff, hat, etc.) also at other temples?

=====

tneva82

« Reply #1 on: Jan 25th, 2017, 11:32am »
    on Jan 25th, 2017, 08:54am, FlyingDutch wrote:
    We are planning to do the pilgrimage in few months, and due to logistic constrains, we are considering of starting the pilgrimage not at temple 1.

Will we be able to find Henro materials (stamp book, staff, hat, etc.) also at other temples?

Can't say for sure since haven't visited yet but at least in Chichibu pilgrimage not every temple had full gear available that I could see. Most did have stamp book I think though not neccessarily pilgrim specific one but more generic one.

If it's not every temple(which I suspect is the case) probably most likely places you CAN buy are the ones that also sell the henro map book. List of those(going by japanese map from last spring which I believe is newest) these temples sell the book. Also there is henro store near temple 10 I have heard mentioned often(seems also cheaper than temple 1)

1, 6, 21, 24
    26(big famous temple so I'll be astonished if this doesn't sell)
    37, 40, 43, 44, 45
    51(again very likely candinate to sell)
    75(ditto)

Most likely candinates I would be aiming for would be 26, 51 or 75 which covers large amount of viable starting places.

Could be good idea to give them a call in advance though. One alternative is online shop like www.ippoippodo.com but problem with that is that a) it's japanese so you need to be able to read it b) it doesn't ship outside japan(though haven't tried asking would it be possible. Not as a standard though) so you would either need to have like Japanese friend from where to pick them up, use forwarding service like tenso.com or maybe ask first night lodging if you could order them there ahead of time.

Hope this helps.

=====

slc

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25th, 2017, 6:43pm »
    Most of the temples sell basic Henro supplies like candles, osamefda and incense. Some sell more. I think the hardest thing to find will be the English guide. You might want to try getting that in advance. In addition to what Tneva82 said, Temlpe 88 has a shop in front of it with a lot of henro stuff.

In Kochi and Matsuyama I saw some Buddhist/Henro supply stores that seemed to have most of the stuff. The one in Kochi is in the city's main shopping arcade (I think it's labeled 'shopping street' in the English guide), and the one in Matsuyama is underground between Matsuyama City Station and Gintengai shopping arcade. Take the escalators that go under the road at the end of the shopping arcade.

=====

FlyingDutch

« Reply #3 on: Jan 25th, 2017, 8:58pm »
    The english guide book I already have, I am more looking for clothing/hat and stamp book. Thanks for you help.

=====

Boreq

« Reply #4 on: Feb 6th, 2017, 03:13am »
    Will it be a problem for a tall Dutch guy to find the gear? I am 194 centimeters, so I am a little afraid I might not fit any of the gear for sale haha

=====

emvb

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11th, 2017, 6:31pm »
    on Feb 6th, 2017, 03:13am, Boreq wrote:
    Will it be a problem for a tall Dutch guy to find the gear? I am 194 centimeters, so I am a little afraid I might not fit any of the gear for sale haha

Hi Boreq
    I'm 1 centimetre shorter than you, and I was able to find a hakui (white cotton top worn by pilgrims) that fits with no problem. That was at Temple 1, though, which has a pretty good selection.

=====

Boreq

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12th, 2017, 1:42pm »
    Great, that sounds good. I'll probably start at temple 1, so that should be fine ^^

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 am