Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

Getting Stamps In Your Nōkyōchō

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Getting Stamps In Your Nōkyōchō Empty Getting Stamps In Your Nōkyōchō

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:44 am

Originally posted by several members in 2012 and 2013.
    -----

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Thread started on: Aug 2nd, 2012, 5:19pm »
    I added the below to the "What To Do At The Temples" page of the website, but thought it deserved a wider dissemination so am posting it here as well.

Dave
    ---------

A note about the stamp book: While almost all of us, nearly 100% i would assume, think that we are buying the stamp when we give the office the required ¥300 each time they put a new stamp in our book, that is really NOT the way we should look at it. All of us should take those thoughts out of our heads and simply throw them away. End of that story.

The way to look at the stamp fee is to remember that for some/many of the very remote temples, a large part of their annual income comes from donations. We, as henro, donate ¥300 to each temple we visit in appreciation of their significance as temples on and associated with the henro trail. We donate ¥300 to support their upkeep. Since no good deed should go unnoticed, in return for your donation the temple stamps your donation book to show that a donation has been made. We are not buying anything — we donate a trivial amount of money in appreciation for their efforts and they stamp your book in appreciation of your donation. That's the story we should have in our heads.

« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2012, 5:30pm by Shikoku Henro Trail »

=====

daraohuiginnca

« Reply #1 on: Jul 2nd, 2013, 10:38am »
    It was not until half way through my walk that I began to wonder about the meening of the stamps. One kind monk at a temple explained it to me and had a little paper he gave to explain. It was very useful information and removed some of just going through the ritual of getting the Nokyocho. I suppose I had finally relaxed enough to become more aware of the details. I also began to take the time to get to know a few of the various statues in more detail which was good. Ah and Oom became my "friends" as I arrived at each temple and they cheered me up.
    Thank you for mentioning the giving of the 300 for the stamps. Giving is itself one of the major things a person can do throughout the journey. Giving a smile, a kindness, an encouragement and of oneself seems the most pleasurable. Giving of little tokens or food cements that in a practical way. Thanks again for all you have done.
    Dara --- March and April 2013.

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12th, 2013, 08:34am »
    "Giving is itself one of the major things a person can do throughout the journey. Giving a smile, a kindness, an encouragement and of oneself seems the most pleasurable. Giving of little tokens or food cements that in a practical way."

Lovely words. I agree totally. Thanks.

Dave

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:47 am