Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

Bears in the woods

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Bears in the woods Empty Bears in the woods

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:06 am

Originally posted by several members in 2015.
    -----

robinalone

« Thread started on: Jun 23rd, 2015, 03:22am »
    No, not actually real bears (I believe there aren't any on Shikoku!) - more the figurative kind smiley
    I'm hoping to walk some time in 2016 and nojuku as much as possible.
    I come from NZ, where we have lots of tourists free camping, and lots of wilderness hiking. Because of this I am very aware of the environmental impact of too many campers defecating near unofficial campsites, and am therefore wondering how many of the rest huts/nojuku spots have toilets at or near them.
    I guess delicacy means many people don't mention this in blogs, and despite lots of internet reserch I am still not certain how many toilets I will find.
    Really appreciate all information and comments smiley I feel very crass bringing this up but surely I'm not the only one wondering about this?

=====

clarksm67

« Reply #1 on: Aug 21st, 2015, 08:49am »
    I was wondering the same thing. Thank you for asking the question.

=====

Simon

« Reply #2 on: Aug 26th, 2015, 07:37am »
    I slept in a few rest huts and sometimes in my tent. As a person who needs clean restrooms I was wondering too if I can manage to get along.
    I never really were confronted with unusable/non-existing toilets etc. Wherever I stayed I found a place to go. Of course not everyone was clean, there were some not so super places. In the mountains you can also find toilets but as expected they are quite dirty.
    You can always use the excellent restrooms in a convinience store or at a temple (some are not so good). Should bring you through the day. For me, peeing in the woods sounds not very friendly but it is mostly water Smile
    Don't worry, you find enough restrooms. But like with everything: better do it too early.

Hope this helps Smile

Simon

(NZ...ahh...I hope to have the chance to move there next year)

=====

robinalone

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27th, 2015, 12:59pm »
    Thanks Simon, that's great information and makes me a lot more comfortable about my plan to nojuku when possible.

Good luck with you plans to come to NZ

Robin

=====

cpetersky

« Reply #4 on: Sep 2nd, 2015, 10:30pm »
    From a USAian perspective, I never saw so many public toilets, and so many public toilets that were clean, than I did when I was in Japan.

I wasn't camping, but even just walking all day, from 7:00 to 4:00 or 5:00. I only ended up peeing once or twice by the the side of the road. Nearly always I could hold it, until I could find some sort of "public convenience". Clearly, YMMV.

=====

robinalone

« Reply #5 on: Sep 9th, 2015, 02:18am »
    Thank you for that - I think I have read your blog and really liked it - particularly great to hear the experiences of another women much the same age as me Smile

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:55 am