Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

2 posters

Kukai's Mausoleum

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Kukai's Mausoleum Empty Kukai's Mausoleum

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:55 am

Two points I can make about Kūkai's mausoleum on Mt. Kōya.

1) I mention it on the website, but just in case someone misses that note...

Everyone knows that the mausoleum is located at the okunoin at the back of the huge, famous cemetery on the edge of Kōya Town. However, even though all the activity takes place inside the okunoin, the mausoleum itself is actually outside, behind the building.

Once inside, go back out through the doors on the left. Go towards the rear of the building and then turn back towards the center of the building. You can't miss it; you will see the candle stands and the incense urns.

2) After greeting the Daishi, continue around the okunoin and on the right side of the building, near the front, you will see a door leading to a set of stairs going down. Go inside and work your way to the back of the room and you'll see a window where you are supposedly looking directly at the mausoleum where the Daishi is interred. Since you're underground you can't see anything, but you are looking right at the Daishi. There may be a statue in the window for you to focus on, but I don't remember.
    Rollerblading

Kukai's Mausoleum Empty Re: Kukai's Mausoleum

Post by Rollerblading Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:13 pm

Can't believe I missed this the first time. Will be sure to finish up with visiting the masuoleum this winter

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:30 am