Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

Should I visit mount Koya before or after Shikoku

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Should I visit mount Koya before or after Shikoku Empty Should I visit mount Koya before or after Shikoku

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:08 am

Originally posted by several members in January 2018.
    -----

Aprime

« Thread started on: Jan 21st, 2018, 2:49pm »
    I want to visit koya so should I go before or after as I want to stay at least 1 night at koya

Thanks

=====

slc

« Reply #1 on: Jan 21st, 2018, 7:51pm »
    on Jan 21st, 2018, 2:49pm, Aprime wrote:
    I want to visit koya so should I go before or after as I want to stay at least 1 night at koya

Thanks

It's pretty much up to you as far as I know. Some people go before, some people go after, some people do both, and some people don't go. If you go before you can ask Kukai to watch over you on your journey. If you go after you can thank him for watching over you.

I visited before, my only regret is that I was there before I bought my nokyocho (stamp book) and there is a page in the book for Mt. Koya, so I didn't get that stamp. I believe you can buy a nokyocho at Mt. Koya, so if you go before you might want to do that.

Also, if you happen to be taking the ferry between Tokushima and Wakayama, I think the ferry is free if you have a completed nokyocho. That will only work if you go after.

« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2018, 7:53pm by slc »

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23rd, 2018, 3:07pm »
    Yes, you can buy stamp books at most of the shops in Koya Town. And the stamp office is to the right of the path, just before you cross the third, and last, bridge on the way to the Okunoin.

=====

Aprime

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23rd, 2018, 4:29pm »
    Sorry is the stamp book different to the Shikoku one ?

=====

slc

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23rd, 2018, 5:00pm »
    Well there are different stamp books available for different pilgrimages, as well as general purpose stamp books. You can actually collect stamps at most Buddhist temples in Japan, and some people do as a hobby of sorts. So you want to make sure you get the right book.

The one for the Shikoku pilgrimage has 89 places for stamps. The 88 numbered temples and Mt. Koya. You can buy that stamp book at both temple #1 on Shikoku and Mt. Koya.

=====

Aprime

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24th, 2018, 12:19am »
    What about the Optional temples at Shikoku

Does that have a special book as I heard there are 10 odd if them ?

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2018, 12:24am by Aprime »

=====

tneva82

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28th, 2018, 12:45am »
    on Jan 24th, 2018, 12:19am, Aprime wrote:
    What about the Optional temples at Shikoku

Does that have a special book as I heard there are 10 odd if them ?

Genarally basic book doesn't have pages for them so you either get extra pages and bind them to book like author of this forum did or you get separate book, either general book or one specifically designed for those. I went for specific as i like the drawings of temples in it

======

henrodon

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30th, 2018, 02:18am »
    This page

http://www.shikokuhenrotrail.com/shikoku/walkingBangaiOkunoin.html

at this website gives some information about these 20 Bekkaku temples. Number One of this group, Taisanji, is halfway up a mountain near Temples Six and Seven of the regularly numbered temples. Here's their own website (only in Japanese):

http://taisanji.jp/

I don't know if they sell their own special stamp book there. Perhaps somebody else can answer that question.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:30 am