Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

Walking in december

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Walking in december

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:32 am

Originally posted by several members in March 2018.
    -----

marga2

« Thread started on: Mar 20th, 2018, 11:37am »
    I’d like to see Shikoku and Some temples in the snow, so I’m planning to walk until half december. Is this possible? Are the temples, the ryokans and minshuku’s still open? Etc.

=====

tneva82

« Reply #1 on: Mar 21st, 2018, 03:01am »
    on Mar 20th, 2018, 11:37am, marga2 wrote:
    I’d like to see Shikoku and Some temples in the snow, so I’m planning to walk until half december. Is this possible? Are the temples, the ryokans and minshuku’s still open? Etc.

Half december...Hmm I would try to post-pone it a bit if possible. Fairly sure mountain temples have snow on january. Not sure about december.

As for is it possible? Yes. And I have read good opinions of people who do it. You are going to be more lonely than in spring(ie you meet less pilgrims) but probably less than in summer. Some minshuku's are closed outside pilgrim season(spring and fall) but not all but on flipside those that are open should be less booked up. Some extra trouble with finding lodging might be possible.

=====

marga2

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21st, 2018, 05:55am »
    Thanks for answering, but what about X-mas and Newyears day?

=====

tneva82

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22nd, 2018, 12:34am »
    on Mar 21st, 2018, 05:55am, marga2 wrote:
    Thanks for answering, but what about X-mas and Newyears day?

Good news is christmas isn't as big deal there as in western and isn't public holiday so shouldn't cause rush to the lodgings. New year however is bit of a problem so unless you can start say 4th january certainly would be good idea to try to sort those 3 days in advance lodging wise. 1st, 2nd and 3rd january are public holidays so popular time to go for small onsen trip etc.

=====

henrodon

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28th, 2018, 9:29pm »
    When you say you'll walk until half December, I guess you mean you'll finish before Christmas. You should have no major problems then. Only the higher mountains are likely to get more than a light dusting of snow that early in the winter. Some minshuku and shukubo will be closed by then, but if you phone ahead, you should be fine for accommodations.

=====

tneva82

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29th, 2018, 03:40am »
    on Mar 28th, 2018, 9:29pm, henrodon wrote:
    When you say you'll walk until half December, I guess you mean you'll finish before Christmas. You should have no major problems then. Only the higher mountains are likely to get more than a light dusting of snow that early in the winter. Some minshuku and shukubo will be closed by then, but if you phone ahead, you should be fine for accommodations.

That sounds like negative thing if he wanted snowy mountains!

=====

henrodon

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29th, 2018, 05:02am »
    Snow higher up — clear paths lower down!

Current date/time is Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:57 am