Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

Must-not-miss parts to be walked?

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Must-not-miss parts to be walked? Empty Must-not-miss parts to be walked?

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:15 am

Originally posted by several members between 2013 and 2017.
    -----

cpetersky

« Thread started on: Oct 23rd, 2013, 09:35am »
    My walking companion and I are talking about taking a regular Sabbath from walking - using public transportation once a week - rather than walking the whole thing.

At the same time, I'd hate to be stuck in a bus on a busy highway, when there would be a section with really thrilling scenery only available to those on foot.

Which sections are "must-not-miss" on foot? And what sections are just more same-old, same-old that you might as well just ride the bus for?

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #1 on: Oct 28th, 2013, 09:01am »
    Just letting you know that i'm not ignoring you. I'll give you my opinion on places in a few days.

Dave

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #2 on: Dec 26th, 2013, 3:43pm »
    OK, so i've stalled long enough. Sorry, but i just didn't know how to answer.....

What i decided was that i have say that i can't come up with a list of places that are a "must not miss." Except the mountain temples, of course. I would say that you have to walk up to any temple that is on it's own mountain. The temples themselves may not be anything special, but because i love the climb up, i'd say you have to make the climb.

For the rest (and vast majority) of the temples, i don't think there is anywhere all that special. I just love the island. Espcially the southwest tip of Kochi Prefecture. Between Shimanto-gawa and T38 on the tip of Cape Ashizuri, then back up to T39, whether you back track from T38 and then head west to T39, or you continue around the cape from T38, go past Tsukiyama Shrine and then up to T39.

But, i can say there are a few places that i'd say it is perfectly safe to take the bus and not miss much.
    1) From T23 (or B4) down to T24. The coastline can be beautiful, but it's three days of highway with no temples, or anything else, to break the monotony.
    2) Through Kochi City.
    3) Maybe from T46 through T51 as you traverse Matsuyama City.
    4) The long stretch across the top of the island between T64 (maybe T62) and T65.

Dave

P.S., other opinions on my opinions are most welcome...

=====

cpetersky

« Reply #3 on: Dec 27th, 2013, 09:10am »
    I have heard from others that walking to mountain temples is not to be missed. Two though, are accessible via aerial lifts, and one by funicular. One could ride up and walk down, presuming that all these temples are a "there-and-back" as opposed to "along-the-way". We could then get the benefit of both the fun and views of the ropeway or funicular, and the beauty of the forest on foot.

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #4 on: Dec 27th, 2013, 2:20pm »
    The ropeway at T21 is on the opposite side of the mountain as the trail up and down are. It never seems that way to me when i'm up there, but the maps always say i'm wrong. I don't see that as an option unless you are willing to walk a long way off the normal path.

For T66, you'd walk up then take the ropeway down the back side to continue your trip.

Same at T85, you would take the cable car up and then walk down the back side.

=====

Janet

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13th, 2017, 4:15pm »
    I'm new here. I haven't walked the Henro Michi yet, but I walked the Camino de Santiago in 1999, and based on that I would venture to guess that even the "boring/monotonous" parts have a lot to offer. One of my most amazing experiences on the Camino happened in the ugly warehouse edge of a city.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm