Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

In 2014 Henro 1200 years anniversary

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

In 2014 Henro 1200 years anniversary

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail on Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:15 am

Originally posted by several members in September and October 2013.
    -----

Kaeru61

« Thread started on: Sep 22nd, 2013, 1:07pm »
    Hello Dave and other henrosan,
    Do you know more about the Henro 1200 years anniversary in 2014?
    I am planning to walk the henro for the second time from March 3 till May 3 2014.
    My plan is to sleep as much as possible at free lodgings or lowbudget lodgings.
    Do you think I have to make reservations more days in advance next spring because of this anniversary?
    Are there special weeks of celebration I have to know about? Like last spring it was very busy during Spring Holiday in March and in the Golden Week in May.
    Thanks!

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #1 on: Sep 23rd, 2013, 08:57am »
    Kaeru61,
    I don't *think* the number of henro will increase enough to make lodging (whether free or otherwise) that much more difficult. But, i really have no way of knowing. I imagine there will be more traffic at the temples, yes, because that is were any activities will be held. But, i *think* that for the most part that will mean an increase in bus and car henro, not walking henro.

There will be special activities on Koyasan and that could make lodging there more difficult at certain times.

Matsushita-san, the publisher, writer, editor, every hat, person behind the 88 Route Guide, sent me a document listing all the special activities at each of the 88 main temples. It's in Japanese, so since no one here on the forum has been talking about the anniversary i haven't bothered to translate & post the information.

OK, now you have asked so i guess i'll get off my lazy behind and try and make it available.

It's a list with the 12 months written across the top of the page, each of the 88 temples listed down the left side, and across from each temple a list of the activities they plan to hold each month.

At first glance, it seems that the most common plan is to hold public viewings of the honzon.

I'll add it to the web site. Look for a link to it on the right side of the main page, under Announcements. If i force myself to add one temple per day, i should have all 88 temples done by the end of the year? (Spring walking season doesn't start until March/April, so that gives me an extra couple of months for when i fall behind.)

I'll upload the original Japanese document and put a link on that same page in case anyone wants the original Japanese.

Dave

=====

cpetersky

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10th, 2013, 5:23pm »
    So, I looked at the list of events - thank you for your translations!

I am curious - for example, for Temple #10, you state: Entry allowed into the hondō and the pagoda (containing important national cultural treasures). Reservations required for either building.

Since just me and a friend are walking, it isn't like we're a bus-load of pilgrims - do you think we really do need reservations? How are we to get a reservation? Do we need to write ahead? Can we just call? Since I am not sure of our pace of walking, do we need to specify the exact date that we would want to have our reservation?

Thank you for any insight you may shed.

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11th, 2013, 07:10am »
    I thought about the same thing and don't know an answer any more than the rest of us. But, what i'm hoping is that if a walking henro shows up, you ask about it at the nokyocho, and they take you over and let you in. It's a guess, but it's plausible. Maybe not all that likely, but it's a possibility.

Dave

=====

cpetersky

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11th, 2013, 08:28am »
    I could write a dead-trees letter, since there is no electronic way to contact them, in my bad but I hope comprehensible Japanese. Then, do you think it is likely that they would reply?

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11th, 2013, 4:32pm »
    Before you bother writing the letter, let me contact a few friends in Japan who should be able to ask at one of the temples. Give me a week, or so, to get an answer.

Are you specifically hoping for Temple 10, or was that just an example?

Dave

=====

cpetersky

« Reply #6 on: Oct 11th, 2013, 5:52pm »
    Temple #10 is for sure. I think the other ones either do not require a reservation or are not available at the time that we will be there. There's also another 50+ temples that you haven't translated information about smiley so there could be more.

I also asked this question on the Facebook page for the 88 Temples Pilgrimage.

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16th, 2013, 09:34am »
    All,
    David Moreton, in Tokushima, called Temples 10 and 23 for us asking about their reservation requirements. Here's what he was told:

Temple 10, Kirihata-ji
    - It is possible to view from the outside, but if you want to go inside you must make a reservation.
    - Reservations must be made by the day before.
    - When you call, give your name and contact information.
    - It is NOT possible to just show up and ask for permission.
    - There is no one who speaks English, so the reservation must be made in Japanese.

Temple 23, Yakuo-ji
    - Reservation must be made by 4pm the day before.
    - When you call give your name and contact information, say how many people will visit and, if possible, the time when you will visit.
    - It is NOT possible to just show up and ask for permission.
    - There is no one who speaks English, so the reservation must be made in Japanese.

Dave, in Chicago.

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2013, 07:31am by Shikoku Henro Trail »

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17th, 2013, 07:27am »
    Arrrggggg.....
    Almost done translating the list of special events and was looking forward to finishing long before i had promised.

Then i got an email last night saying a revised version has been released and i would get it in a few days......

Sigh.

Dave

=====

cpetersky

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17th, 2013, 10:29am »
    Thank you, Dave - your efforts are appreciated.

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17th, 2013, 6:40pm »
    Thanks.

But as of this afternoon I take back the "arghhh" and the "sigh." for the rest of the week I don't care if they send a new revision every day.

I got my bike back from the bike shop this afternoon. New cassette, new chain, new spoke and re-trued back and front wheels. Brakes all adjusted, handlebars re-taped. Dust and dirt removed and grease reinserted where needed My week and a half on the road in August took it's toll on the poor bike, but all is back, shiny, greased, and in perfect working order.

Does life get any better?

Dave

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #11 on: Oct 25th, 2013, 11:30am »
    Making progress on the v2 list of special events. Just passed Zentsuji and am rounding the corner for the final stretch. Will finish by the end of the weekend.

There are a couple of wonderful events/exhibitions i'd love to see if i could spend the year there.

One honzon to be shown for the first time in 320 years.
    The "One Character One Buddha" copy of the Lotus Sutra that the Daishi wrote.
    A couple of hibutsu.

www.shikokuhenrotrail.com/shikoku/1200YearAnniversary.html

Dave

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #12 on: Oct 28th, 2013, 08:53am »
    The list of special, 2014, events is complete with the exception of one issue at Temple 81. I'll fix that when my friend, the editor of the guidebook, tells me what it means.

If you see any problems, have any questions, comments, suggestions, etc., let me know. Thanks for your patience.

Dave

Current date/time is Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:35 pm