Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

Walking in December to January

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Walking in December to January

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail on Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:01 am

Originally posted by several members in 2012 and 2013.
    -----

dukkha

« Thread started on: Jul 25th, 2012, 03:33am »
    Ok it sounds crazy but I'm going to be walking the trail in mid to late December....only time i can get off from my crazy hectic job. I plan to walk from temples 1-32. I've walked the whole trail in the Autumn of 2010 so this is my 2nd time. I will stay at minshuku and ryokan. Any suggestions on the best clothes and equipment to take for that time of year?

dukkha Very Happy

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #1 on: Jul 25th, 2012, 06:07am »
    Lucky you!

On the bottom of the "When To Go" page of the web site i posted this note from someone who likes to walk in February and November, but you may have already seen this.

"Incidentally, another comment I have is about your suggestions re: when to go. In my opinion, the best months are February and November — being generally dry and sunny. I was in Kōchi 11-19 February and only had half a day of rain, and although other henro reported snow at Shosanji, it was never cold once you started walking (around 9-10 degrees c. most days). I dressed as for x-country skiing, with a polypropylene long sleeved vest under a polyester/wool combo lightweight sweater. That and the henro shirt was all (once I'd stripped off my Goretex jacket by mid-morning). I also have windproof hiking trousers. There were cold northerly winds but I had fleece gloves, a beret to keep the ears warm, which I exchanged for a peak cap when it got sunnier and warmer (I don't like henro hats), and a combination of scarves: a cotton temple one (like people tie round their heads), a thin Indian silk one, and a lightweight narrow wool one. I'd start the morning with all three and gradually remove all but the cotton one."

I'll ask someone who lives on Shikoku to post another reply soon. Give him a few days.

Dave

=====

henrodon

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25th, 2012, 4:41pm »
    Personally, I don't see anything at all crazy about walking in Tokushima in December. It's a lovely time to walk. It might be down to freezing some nights, maybe a little colder if you spend any nights high in the mountains (though there are few places up in the mountains where you're likely to spend nights), but the days should be cool and pleasant, with little rain. Just take your fall walking experience and subtract a few degrees per month.

=====

dukkha

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26th, 2012, 3:01pm »
    Dave, Henrodon, thanks guys. Being from central eastern Australia I've never walked long distances in the winter of the northern hemisphere so I'm grateful for your words. Really looking forward to returning to the trail.

dukkha Smile

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26th, 2012, 4:22pm »
    Another suggestion is to keep your eye on the local Tokushima weather report on a site like http://www.jma.go.jp/jp/yoho/343.html as you get nearer to leaving. And the Kōchi-ken weather as well at http://www.jma.go.jp/jp/yoho/344.html

This will help fine tune you clothing list as the departure approaches.

Dave

=====

dukkha

« Reply #5 on: Jan 6th, 2013, 12:19am »
    Well I managed to walk for 7 days in mid to late December, and honestly that was a hard slog. Worth every bit of it but tough. Rained more than usual for that time of year, but luckily mainly at night. Had no troubles finding accommodation, though some places were closed, and apart from one night, every night I ate alone which was an experience. Never met anyone else going the same way round as me though I must have met at least 10 or so people walking henro in the opposite direction. Managing layers of clothing was important, especially on the climbs up to temples 12, 20, and 21. Back to walk the Kochi segment in the warmer months. Thanks Dave and Henrodon for your advice and suggestions, am very grateful for your support

dukkha Very Happy

Current date/time is Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:47 pm