Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

General (Lack Of) Information

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

General (Lack Of) Information

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:18 am

Originally posted by several members in 2012 and 2014.
    -----

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Thread started on: Jul 26th, 2012, 4:15pm »
    For those that want information on bicycling the henro trail, sorry, but I have no special information for you. I don't know of any maps specifically for bicyclists. As far as I know they simply follow the same route that car henro would use. For that you could use the 88 Route Guide, but I'd recommend one specifically for cars that you could purchase at Temple 1.

One that would suit that purpose and that I have here at home so I can say I like it is "四国八十八ヶ所詳細地図帖." (Shikoku Hachijūhachi Kasho Shōsai Chizu Chō; Detailed Maps For The 88 Temple Pilgrimage On Shikoku.)

While I certainly can't guarantee it, I think I've seen it in the shop in the hondō at Temple 1 during previous trips. It's very detailed with maps and lots of information on the temples, 100% in Japanese. (http://item.rakuten.co.jp/eitikai/65z/)

A set of maps like this will get you around, but I would still carry the 88 Route Guide for the lodging, gas station, convenience store (i.e., food and bathroom) information that you'll need every day.

The temples are well marked along the roads and I would think it would be hard to miss a turn. All in all, I don't think you'll have that hard of a time.

=====

Parzival

« Reply #1 on: Dec 26th, 2014, 8:30pm »
    What about GPS maps? Has anyone had any luck with using those, and if so which ones/type? The car map is a great idea. Thank you.

Current date/time is Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:33 pm