Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

Quotes that talk to the Heart of Henro

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Quotes that talk to the Heart of Henro Empty Quotes that talk to the Heart of Henro

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:34 am

Originally posted by member "dukkha" on March 1st, 2011
    ---------------

Quotes that talk to the Heart of Henro
    « Thread started on: Mar 1st, 2011, 02:51am »

Thought I'd share a couple of quotes that leave a lingering henro quality for me:

"But your solitude will be a support and a home for you, even in the midst of very unfamiliar circumstances, and from it you will find all your paths" Rainer Maria Rilke

This quote really resonates for me. Being an introvert and more than comfortable with my own company, my solo henro journey, really was a journey of the soul....I found it an opportunity to be a true an Archaeologist of the Self.

Another piece I like, a follow on from the previous one, by Dennis Genpo Merzel...

"The secret is to travel light: we need to keep dropping our ego, our ideas, and our concepts. We also need to keep facing our fear. We dont need to get rid of fear; we only need to learn how to work with it. The best way to work with fear is to let it be."

Very Happy

Last edited by Admin on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:40 am; edited 2 times in total
    Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Quotes that talk to the Heart of Henro Empty Re: Quotes that talk to the Heart of Henro

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:36 am

Reply originally posted by member "Utsusemi" on March 2, 2011.
    -----

« Reply #1 on: Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:49am »

Hi dukkha, thanks for sharing the quotes. I will take them with me on my journey as reminders when things get tough.

Last edited by Admin on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:40 am; edited 2 times in total
    Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Quotes that talk to the Heart of Henro Empty Re: Quotes that talk to the Heart of Henro

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:39 am

Reply originally posted by member "dukkha" on March 3, 2011.
    -----

« Reply #2 on: Mar 3rd, 2011, 04:35am »

Your welcome Utsusemi. Before I left I crafted 3 self coaching statements or slogans. I found these invaluable along the way. These were....

1.Breakdowns will occur along the way (as in things will not always go to plan, and this too is part of my training). Mastery of life is mastery of being more resilient when things do breakdown.

2.Retain a mood of curiosity...it reveals more possibilities and options along the way...it also is a supportive emotional space to be in when things don't go to plan..see point one.

3.Observe the facts of situations and events...in particular breakdowns. It helps to get you out of negative emotional spaces.

I remember one day I'd been walking 9hrs in the rain and had started to get really angry...I stood back and looked at the facts...its raining..my legs hurt...I'm cold. That was it. The rest were negative emotions..worse still..angry at what? The weather !! This technique came in handy many times along the way.

Anyway, enjoy your henro. I plan to return again April next year to start chipping away at my 2nd trip...gets in the blood
    Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:43 am

Reply originally posted by member "followingthearrows" on September 23, 2014.
    -----

« Reply #3 on: Sep 23rd, 2014, 04:01am »

Hi Dukkha,

i think your quotes and coaching statements are both motivating and incredibly insightful.

When things go "wrong" for me I usually believe the age old saying that everything happens for a reason, and there were quite a few times during my pilgrimage around Shikoku where things didn't necessarily go as planned, but definitely worked out for the better.

Thank you for posting this Smile

Kat
    Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:45 am

Originally posted by member "Odem" on January 16, 2016.
    -----

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16th, 2016, 6:24pm »

Thank you. Your quotes came at the right time.

on Mar 1st, 2011, 02:51am, dukkha wrote:
    Thought I'd share a couple of quotes that leave a lingering henro quality for me:

"But your solitude will be a support and a home for you, even in the midst of very unfamiliar circumstances, and from it you will find all your paths" Rainer Maria Rilke

This quote really resonates for me. Being an introvert and more than comfortable with my own company, my solo henro journey, really was a journey of the soul....I found it an opportunity to be a true an Archaeologist of the Self.

Another piece I like, a follow on from the previous one, by Dennis Genpo Merzel...

"The secret is to travel light: we need to keep dropping our ego, our ideas, and our concepts. We also need to keep facing our fear. We dont need to get rid of fear; we only need to learn how to work with it. The best way to work with fear is to let it be."

Very Happy
    Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:47 am

Originally posted by member "Goat" on February 1, 2017.
    -----

« Reply #5 on: Feb 1st, 2017, 1:41pm »

Solvitur ambulando (Latin): It is solved by walking.

There are some good things to be said about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed. I have a friend who's always in a hurry; he never gets anywhere. Walking makes the world much bigger and thus more interesting. You have time to observe the details. ~ Edward Abbey

Also, this one by yours truly for those inevitable moments when you're fed up with it all: Would you rather be at work?

~山羊~

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:50 am

Originally posted by member "MakotoUeno" on February 3, 2017.
    -----

« Reply #6 on: Feb 3rd, 2017, 6:36pm »

on Feb 1st, 2017, 1:41pm, Goat wrote:
    Solvitur ambulando (Latin): It is solved by walking.

I like this. There were lots of times during my pilgrimage when I asked myself why I was walking, but I haven't been able to come up with a coherent answer.

This may very well explain it all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 pm