Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

Sanuki Udon

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Sanuki Udon Empty Sanuki Udon

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:20 am

Originally posted by several members between 2012 and 2017.
    -----

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Thread started on: Jul 5th, 2012, 6:43pm »
    What is known as Kagawa Prefecture today was know as Sanuki Province in the olden days. Kagawa Prefecture is famous nationwide for its udon.

Most people think that a bowl of udon is a bowl of udon is a bowl of udon. That is not the case. "Sanuki Udon," the udon sold in restaurants in Kagawa Prefecture, is vastly better than your typical bowl of udon. It's delicious.

As you pass through the last prefecture during your walk be sure to stop at restaurants a few times and enjoy a few bowls of Sanuki Udon.

=====

FlyingDutch

« Reply #1 on: May 13th, 2017, 06:28am »
    Talking with a Japanese colleague about Shikoku, he told me that there are people (including him) who go to Shikoku only for having Sanuki Udon in various places.

Definitely worth trying!

« Last Edit: May 13th, 2017, 06:29am by FlyingDutch »

=====

Janet

« Reply #2 on: May 24th, 2017, 3:38pm »
    Yesssss! I've been home less than a week, and am craving Sanuki udon every day. All those souvenir udon-themed tenugui I hauled back just don't scratch that itch Wink

=====

Boreq

« Reply #3 on: Jun 20th, 2017, 06:59am »
    ... and it is really affordable!

In Kagawa I also had the great experience of not having to pay for my bowl of Udon. Some great fellow henro from Osaka had donated money to the restaurant to pay for the food for henro after him! I was delighted, so kind!

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:51 pm