Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

Dogo Onsen in Matsuyama

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Dogo Onsen in Matsuyama

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:00 am

Originally posted by several members between January and October 2012.
    -----

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Thread started on: Jan 27th, 2012, 07:21am »
    As you enter Matsuyama, you will pass very close to Dogo Onsen, one of the oldest onsen (hot springs) in all of Japan. It is very, very famous and has a history that legend says is as old as Japan itself. I think it's worth visiting just because it is so famous.

The funny thing for me was that, even though it is called an onsen, once you are inside, it is obvious that it is really nothing more than a sentou, a common public bath.

There are several floors and several levels of pricing. If you choose the cheapest pricing (maybe 400 yen?) you get to use the bath on the first floor. Bring your own towel or they will charge you for one. It will be PACKED, completely full and crowded. But, since it's Dogo Onsen, it's worth it one time. How can you not stop at an onsen that was around when Prince Shotoku was ruling the country?

John Formosa

« Reply #1 on: Feb 28th, 2012, 06:19am »
    Thanks! I am going to do this next time.

=====

Kathryn Braddy

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26th, 2012, 05:59am »
    Do they allow us to take photographs inside so that we can show it to our family?

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #3 on: Jun 29th, 2012, 08:17am »
    I think photos are strictly forbidden inside. But they probably sell them. It's a big tourist attraction and will be packed with people. A lot of people change into their yukata at their hotel and walk to the onsen in that so you will see people all afternoon and night having their picture taken in front of the building in their yukata. But inside? Never.

Besides that, if you try and snap pictures inside there may be a lot of naked people who won't be very happy about it. Smile

Dave

=====

RyanFoster

« Reply #4 on: Oct 12th, 2012, 12:51pm »
    Thanks for telling everyone about this. I too went to Dogo Onsen when I walked back in May. It makes a good rest stop before going back out into the countryside. There is a higher price ticket available that includes a tour and a tea service. On the tour you can take some pictures of the private rooms and baths. Pictures are impossible in the main two baths, but I believe some are posted online and for sale in Matsuyama.

Current date/time is Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:34 pm