Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

What can I get stamped/ embossed ?

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

What can I get stamped/ embossed ?

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:56 am

Originally posted by several members in June 2017 and January 2018.
    -----

Aprime

« Thread started on: Jun 1st, 2017, 4:50pm »
    I read you can buy a stamp book or even your white temple clothing but I understand that is to wear when you pass away. I read in other pilgrimages that you can buy poems as well as stamps is this true ?

I read you can get a scroll embossed, I assume it's all on one scroll but I would like more info on this. Also is there a specific book bought for Shikoku or not as I want to get all 88

P.S I read there are more than 88 but they are optional or something like this, is that true and where are they ? And can I get embossed stamps from them

=====

tneva82

« Reply #1 on: Jun 4th, 2017, 1:53pm »
    on Jun 1st, 2017, 4:50pm, Aprime wrote:
    I read you can get a scroll embossed, I assume it's all on one scroll but I would like more info on this. Also is there a specific book bought for Shikoku or not as I want to get all 88

There is specific scroll where you will get the inscriptions. Remember you need later to frame it as well properly which adds to the expenses and that it takes more time for it to dry so you need to be prepared to spend more time per temple if you take them.

Quote:
    P.S I read there are more than 88 but they are optional or something like this, is that true and where are they ? And can I get embossed stamps from them

Well there's probably like hundreds of temples if you REALLY want to push it wink But there's 20 extra temples that have managed to get enough fame to be considered as "bekkaku" temples you can visit if you want. Not that many visit them especially on foot which is IMO pity as several of them, especially first 3 of the 5 I visited this year, were quite spectacular.

You can get same stamps from them as on main ones and there's specific stamp book for them. Also you can get small marble ball like things which you can later elsewhere(Was it in Kyoto?) have rosary(prayer bead) made(pity I remembered this on 5th one. Now need to figure what to do regarding first 4...)

=====

FlyingDutch

« Reply #2 on: Jun 5th, 2017, 08:33am »
    on Jun 4th, 2017, 1:53pm, tneva82 wrote:
    There is specific scroll where you will get the inscriptions. Remember you need later to frame it as well properly which adds to the expenses and that it takes more time for it to dry so you need to be prepared to spend more time per temple if you take them.

I have seen some "stamp offices" letting the pilgrims use an hair drier to quickly dry the ink. But not everywhere.

=====

tneva82

« Reply #3 on: Jun 6th, 2017, 04:29am »
    on Jun 5th, 2017, 08:33am, FlyingDutch wrote:
    I have seen some "stamp offices" letting the pilgrims use an hair drier to quickly dry the ink. But not everywhere.

Yeah that helps but it still is going to be slower than the stamp book.

Just something to keep in mind. Some days can get quite busy especially at the start with long distances and many temples. For example my first day was 29.93km(according to phone GPS) and included 6 temples(1-5 and bangai 1) and arrival to the next temple that I stayed at.

Arrived to the first temple 6:40AM and I still arrived barely before 5PM...Those temples add up and if I had had scroll to take with me would have been in trouble likely being able to take much less breaks.

Not unsolvable problem obviously but worth keeping in mind depending on how long days you plan to walk and how much time you plan to spend per temple(I usually stayed 30-45 minutes per temple)

=====

slc

« Reply #4 on: Jun 7th, 2017, 06:36am »
    There is a specific book for the 88 temples with 88 pages. The stamps consist of three different red ink stamps and black handwritten calligraphy.

From what I saw it seemed the same stamps cost more when applied to scrolls and vests. It was 1000 or 2000 yen vs. 300 yen for stamping the book. Keep in mind you have to times that by 88. The book costs a couple hundred US dollars to complete. I believe the other things may cost significantly more.

=====

tneva82

« Reply #5 on: Jun 7th, 2017, 08:19am »
    on Jun 7th, 2017, 06:36am, slc wrote:
    There is a specific book for the 88 temples with 88 pages. The stamps consist of three different red ink stamps and black handwritten calligraphy.

From what I saw it seemed the same stamps cost more when applied to scrolls and vests. It was 1000 or 2000 yen vs. 300 yen for stamping the book. Keep in mind you have to times that by 88. The book costs a couple hundred US dollars to complete. I believe the other things may cost significantly more.

Huh? It shouldn't be that expensive. You sure? I thought it was 500 for scroll with hakui 400 or 500. Could be wrong though,

Also final framing of scroll is pretty pricey.

=====

slc

« Reply #6 on: Jun 7th, 2017, 10:40pm »
    on Jun 7th, 2017, 08:19am, tneva82 wrote:
    Huh? It shouldn't be that expensive. You sure? I thought it was 500 for scroll with hakui 400 or 500. Could be wrong though,

No, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure I saw 'prices' in the thousands of yen for the hakui and scroll stamps at a single temple, and I'm only assuming that all temples have the same pricing. I wasn't paying that much attention so I could have misunderstood what I saw.

Aprime

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24th, 2018, 11:37am »
    I just come back from chichibu with a hakejiku AKA scroll I managed to get all 34 on it BUT won’t lie as I bought it already like that

There were numerous scrolls to chose from but should I get a poster tube to carry it in ? As they gave me a nice plastic cover for free

=====

Jmolnar

« Reply #8 on: Jan 31st, 2018, 4:15pm »
    It would be a good investment, especially if you're going to be walking. A wet scroll is probably the last thing you'd want. There are waterproof tubes that are used for blueprints; most good stationary shops either have them, or can order them. They're also available online. Many have detachable shoulder straps, at least the plastic ones we used to use had them. You probably won't want to fold (crease) the scroll, so you'll need one the correct size. I believe the scrolls are around a meter in width Do a search "blueprint tubes" or "document tubes", and you'll probably find them online - or call a stationary/art supply store to see if they carry them.

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Re: What can I get stamped/ embossed ?

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:03 am

Getting stamps in your stamp book (nokyocho) costs 300 yen. Getting them on a scroll costs 500 yen, I think. On the hakui, i'm not sure, but it's not more than the 500 yen. There are hair dryers in every temple stamp office, without exception, for you to use to dry the ink on your scroll stamp.

If you get the scroll, you have to get it mounted once you have all the stamps. That costs an additional 30,000-40,000 yen. Sumotoriya can do that for you. Contact him via email. (link on front page of website)

The stamp book will have 89 pages. The very first page is reserved for a stamp from Mt. Koya, at the Okunoin.

Dave

Current date/time is Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:04 pm