Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

Too ambitious day? (yokomineji+mount ishizuchi)

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Too ambitious day? (yokomineji+mount ishizuchi) Empty Too ambitious day? (yokomineji+mount ishizuchi)

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:48 pm

Originally posted by several members between 2015 & 2018.
    -----

tneva82

« Thread started on: Dec 19th, 2015, 12:21pm »
    Planning possible day schedules(I love planning eventhough it's extremely unlikely I can keep it as planned!) there's one day I'm particularly nervous about.

Plan is to start day early up as close to Yokomineji(#60) as possible. Then head to the temple. So far so good. BUT there's the Mount Ishizuchi right next to it which also has site related to Kukai and it's almost 2km tall mountain. For mountain hiker nut like me that's like open invitation!

I would like to get to the mountain cottage(wonder what that place is actually? Literally just spot to lay? Wonder if there's any warmth there as that's the main thing I would be looking for...Early may 2km high it's probably COLD) for early wake up to view the sunrise. Sheltering midroute ryokans would mean waking up 1AM or so and that might be tad cruel day ahead...

But this DOES mean I would have 22km day trip involving climbing to 800m, then descent to 200m or so followed by climb to 1982m height. That's a quite a lot for a single day I think.

I am fairly fast mountain hiker though and at least unlike Mount Fuji thin air shouldn't be problem. That's what slowed me down after 8th level.

So. Anybody here ever been to that mountain? How tough climb that is? How dangerous it starts to be in dark? (Mount Fuji at dead night was walk in the park with lamp) Anybody knows what kind of rest spot the place at the top is? Not ryokan level I presume but is there ANY warmth? Any cushions to sleep in? Mount Fuji styled cottages are good enough(though I have feeling I will miss ofuro after that ordeal!).

« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2015, 12:25pm by tneva82 »

=====

ashre

« Reply #1 on: May 28th, 2016, 04:10am »
    I'll reply as this came up when I googled Ishizuchi-san. I assume you've done it by now though? Probably at the same time as me.

The hut near the top is beautiful, easily the nicest enclosed hut I've seen with toilets and water. It has two floors and the top is a nice loft that was very warm at the end of the day when I looked in. That said it was a warm day and I wouldn't want to stay there without a decent sleeping bag. Same goes for all the huts on shikoku really.

=====

tneva82

« Reply #2 on: Aug 20th, 2016, 12:56pm »
    on May 28th, 2016, 04:10am, ashre wrote:
    I'll reply as this came up when I googled Ishizuchi-san. I assume you've done it by now though? Probably at the same time as me.

The hut near the top is beautiful, easily the nicest enclosed hut I've seen with toilets and water. It has two floors and the top is a nice loft that was very warm at the end of the day when I looked in. That said it was a warm day and I wouldn't want to stay there without a decent sleeping bag. Same goes for all the huts on shikoku really.

Thanks for the info. I'll be doing walk in 2017 so still in time smiley

Decicions decisions. Bag just for this would be tough to carry..x

=====

pierre

« Reply #3 on: Feb 18th, 2018, 10:26am »
    hi Tneva82,

Since it's 2018... Did you manage to walk from temple 60 to mount Ishizuchi?

doing some search on the subject (temple 60 to ishizuchi) leads to:

- a somewhat complete map of the trails around mount ishizuchi, missing a bit from temple 60 north : http://henro88map.com/pdf/ishizuchi.pdf

- very nice pictures from a hike that lead there : http://outdoor.geocities.jp/ymkm1982/071013otoudani.htm

- a GPS trace of the path from temple 55 in imabari all the way to mount ishizuchi and then through the mountains to temple 45 : https://www.visugpx.com/yMn457tj4a

Hopefully the weather will be good when I reach this point Smile

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm