Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

I just read there are 20 extra temples on top of t

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

I just read there are 20 extra temples on top of t

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Originally posted by several members in 2017 & 2018.
    -----

Aprime

« Thread started on: Aug 6th, 2017, 2:24pm »
    I am preparing for next summer to do the 88

Anybody know if the 20 are in essence as important as the 88?

Thank you

=====

tneva82

« Reply #1 on: Aug 6th, 2017, 11:21pm »
    on Aug 6th, 2017, 2:24pm, Aprime wrote:
    I am preparing for next summer to do the 88

Anybody know if the 20 are in essence as important as the 88?

Thank you

Not as such and not many goes there especially walkers. However 1, 2 and 3 are beautiful so if you have time recommend those. 4 and 5 more normal but hardly detours. Haven't visited others yet so can't comment there

=====

Aprime

« Reply #2 on: Aug 7th, 2017, 05:58am »
    Can I get stamps at those ?

=====

tneva82

« Reply #3 on: Aug 7th, 2017, 06:27am »
    on Aug 7th, 2017, 05:58am, Aprime wrote:
    Can I get stamps at those ?

Yes and there's specific stamp books available for those. Alternatively some get extra pages and rebind main book with these.

You can also get small balls at each from which you can then have rosary(Prayer bead) made if you want.

Alas I forgot that one on temples 1-4 so now am wondering how to get complete set!

Mind you some of these temples add some serious headache to your plans especially if you don't camp and aren't that comfortable with 30km+ walks. Few problems I have ran with plans:

BG7. Getting from 43 to there and back without very long(30km+) or very short(15km or less) was bit of a trouble and is dependant on very few lodging options having room.

13 and 14. After 65 and before 66 there's very little lodging and nothing whatsoever close to the bangai temples. 28km or so seems to be shortest I can do period(and the minshuku before start of climb to 66 better be open or I'm in trouble)

BG15 is tough if you really hate over 30km days as trip from above lodging to there is 17km or so and most convenient plan at least for me to continue is to return to same lodging.

20 is also rather annoying one. Nearest lodging seems to be still about 16km away from 20. From 20 to temple 88 seems to be about 18km or so and 20 is on 900m tall mountain. Doing that AND 88 in over 30km day seems tough...But if you do trip back and again it still is over 30km and next day it's just few km's to 88...Inconvenient!

« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2017, 06:33am by tneva82 »

=====

Aprime

« Reply #4 on: Aug 7th, 2017, 07:32am »
    Ok stupid question

Can I get public transport to the 20 bangai as I will be using public transportation for the 88 as I don't have time to walk it all. Any temples that are more than single digit miles I am using public transport

=====

tneva82

« Reply #5 on: Aug 7th, 2017, 10:59am »
    on Aug 7th, 2017, 07:32am, Aprime wrote:
    Ok stupid question

Can I get public transport to the 20 bangai as I will be using public transportation for the 88 as I don't have time to walk it all. Any temples that are more than single digit miles I am using public transport

Odds are yes at least to some far but problem is there I can't help much. Actually I would like myself to know how to get to temples 1 and 3 with bus myself so I could go get the prayer bead balls after doing full circle once.

You can get fairly close to bangai 2 by train and bangai 4 is right next to train station so on way to 23 to 24 just hop of and visit it. Bangai 5 is also fairly close to station so no problems there. Not much help after that as as said I haven't yet been further than bangai 5(where I stopped this years part in my in-part walk)

Bangai 3 has no train station close but bus might be able. I would recommend not going all the way though if possible. Rather to Sakamoto town close to it and hike the mountain trail. That trail has some BEAUTIFULL sceneries and it's only like 2-3km hike. At least do it one way on foot.

Following are my impressions from looking at the map book.

Bangai 7 seems to be about 9km or so one way from nearest train station. How far you get with bus zero idea. I have very near ZERO knowledge of Japanese bus system.

Bangai 6 has station close but you don't come there from where you are coming so no help there. Again bus needed but since it's city there should be bus there. I just don't know where you will find bus that goes there.

Bangai 8 is close to station you head from toward bangai 7 so easy enough.

Bangai 9 is amidst series of temples so close you will walk them all likely so that's easy.

After temple 59 you can take a short train ride forward and then it's like 9-10km to bangai 10 with about 5km or so to bangai 11. Bus might help there again but don't know about those any more.

Bangai 12 is most easily accessible by train after doing temple 64.

13 and 14 have no help whatsoever with trains so it's bus or do the ~20km walk doing temples 65 and those 2 before heading to next lodging which is going to be far!

Bangai 15 has train station close by but looks like it won't lead anywhere near to 14 from where you are coming so it could be very long detour to use that! Again bus possible and likely as it's again what(on map) appears to be largish town so likely bus target.

16 is at foothill of 66 and close to where cable car leads on descent if that's what you want.

bangai 17 is accessible to close with train and then short walk.

18 is tougher one. It's either(seemingly less than solid shape) mountain trail descend from temple 71, train with possible long detour(not quite sure how directly trains go) or bus(inside town by looks of it so should be possible). Well it's about 5km one way to temple 74 so might be just walkable.

19 is easiest to just descend from mountain of previous temple and then walk toward train station leading toward next.

20 is bus or walk. Can't help there.

« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2017, 11:00am by tneva82 »

=====

Aprime

« Reply #6 on: Aug 7th, 2017, 11:29am »
    Thank you and that bangai book do I buy that at temple 1 or bangai temple 1?

=====

tneva82

« Reply #7 on: Aug 7th, 2017, 12:47pm »
    on Aug 7th, 2017, 11:29am, Aprime wrote:
    Thank you and that bangai book do I buy that at temple 1 or bangai temple 1?

Not sure are they available at bangai 1 so I would get it on temple 1 just to be safe.

=====

Aprime

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16th, 2017, 07:26am »
    Thank you very much

=====

Aprime

« Reply #9 on: Feb 18th, 2018, 6:09pm »
    IF I rent a car for the journey well that make it easy to do the20 temples or are there places I would have to park the car at awkward places and walk miles away

The reason why is my dad said he wanted to buy me a completed bangai book but it’s like $300 for my birthday. I told him I will let him know but I got to make a decision in the next few days

Cani get some advice please as I need to know how much extra the 20 temples would add time wise to the 88 temples

Thank you very much

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #10 on: Feb 19th, 2018, 10:10am »
    If you rent a car, adding the bangai temples will add almost no time to your pilgrimage. A few of them are out of the way, that is true, but even those have parking lots very near the temples. I'd guess that including the bangai will add only a full day or two to the total trip.

In general, I would say you will never need to walk more than a half hour from a parking lot to a temple compound. But, there may be a lot of stairs to climb between the parking lot and the temple.

In a couple of cases, like Temples 21 and 66, you'll take a cable car up to the top.

Dave

Current date/time is Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:23 am