Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

2 posters

Nōkyōchō - Some questions

ploef

Nōkyōchō - Some questions Empty Nōkyōchō - Some questions

Post by ploef Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:40 am

Hello Everybody,

I was wondering if you guys could help me answering 2 questions I have about the nōkyōchō.

1. Text translation at the back
    At the very back, there is a small square where you can enter the following information (from left to right):
    - 結願日
    - Full Name (氏名)
    - Address (住所)
    - 発願日
    - Phone Number (電話)

Can anyone enlighten me on the meaning of "発願日" and "結願日"?
    Looking at the context and what Google translate gives me, I would go for:
    - 発願日 = Start date
    - 結願日 = End date

Is this correct?

2. Re-using the same nōkyōchō
    I'm planning of going on my 2nd run of the pilgrimage this year, and am wondering whether or not to re-use the same nōkyōchō.

On the the guide provided as a link on the main site, there is the following text:
    Some pilgrims who walk the pilgrimage more than once always get the temple stamps for each walk in the same stamp book, the new stamps right on top of the old ones, resulting in a stamp book with pages that gradually turn solid bright orange in color.

Is this a common practice, or is it more customary/advised to offer a blank one at the stamp office?

Best regards,
    Thibaud
    henrodon

Nōkyōchō - Some questions Empty Re: Nōkyōchō - Some questions

Post by henrodon Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:22 pm

結願日 Start Date
    発願日 Finishing Date (the day you reach your 88th temple)
    It's pretty standard to use the same book each time and just get the reddish stamps added to each page. Some people don't bother carrying the stamp book after the first time (to save weight and money).

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:26 am