Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

writing vs. calling

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

writing vs. calling

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:52 am

Originally posted by several members in February 2014.
    -----

cpetersky

« Thread started on: Feb 3rd, 2014, 2:47pm »
    There are only two places that I really want nailed down in terms of lodging.

One is our first night, when I'll be totally jet lagged and my Japanese language skills will be at their rustiest. The second is our planned third night at Temple #12.

I hate using the phone in my native language of English. Further, I find calling people in a foreign language to be about ten times harder than speaking in person.

So - at least for Temple #12, where there are so few other alternatives, I decided I would write them a letter. Since they of course have no email address, I wrote them a letter on dead trees. I know! I know!

Too late now, as it is already posted, but here's the text. Anyone with greater Japanese skills, please make corrections or suggestions for improvement, in case I have to write another one:

〒771-3421
    徳島県名西郡神山町下分字中318
    焼山寺

焼山寺のマネージャーに:

日本語があまり話せないことを申し訳ありません。
    友人アンさんと私は、四国巡礼の88寺院を歩くことになります。私たちは、3月2日に山寺焼ご滞在をご希望。また、夕食と朝食をしたいと思います。これは可能でしょうか?[email address] で私にメールしてください

またはで私への書き込み:
    [postal address]
    ご検討していただきありがとうございます。

Then I included a picture of my friend and I, so they know we're boring middle aged ladies and not wild party girls.

I"m sure this thing is riddled with errors, but dang, it's been so long since I had to write anything in Japanese!

How long do you think it will take for them to reply? Would they have access to email, even if they don't have an email address posted, such that they would email a confirmation back? Or should I expect a letter in the postal mail? I'm really hoping for email, as it would be so much faster, plus, I can then pop their reply into a machine translator, as opposed to me painfully decoding a hand-written reply.

oy oy oy!

-CP

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #1 on: Feb 3rd, 2014, 3:50pm »
    I'd be surprised if you get an answer before you get there.

What i'd suggest is to email David Moreton, explain your situation, and ask him really, really nicely if he would call T12 and try and get the reservation on your behalf. You can find his address on the Known Henro page of the web site, under Asia, since he lives in Tokushima.

Dave

=====

cpetersky

« Reply #2 on: Feb 3rd, 2014, 5:28pm »
    This is a most discouraging reply. I would hate to bother someone to intervene on our behalf.

I guess I could call, especially since I already sent a letter. I could say, "I'm the gaijin who sent the letter, please tell me if you have a place for me and my friend", it's just a lot more terrifying than writing, and there's no guarantee I'd actually understand the reply.

What would be a good time for me to call PST to reach the temple when they'd have the patience to talk to me?

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #3 on: Feb 4th, 2014, 3:21pm »
    I heard from David M. that you emailed him. Hope all is well now.

Dave

=====

cpetersky

« Reply #4 on: Feb 4th, 2014, 3:38pm »
    He has been most kind. I hate to bother people like this.

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #5 on: Feb 4th, 2014, 3:59pm »
    You'll understand after your walk. Anything to help a fellow henro. That becomes clear during the walk.

Dave

Current date/time is Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:20 pm