Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

Accommodation before climbing to Temple 20

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Accommodation before climbing to Temple 20 Empty Accommodation before climbing to Temple 20

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:41 am

Originally posted in November 2012.
    -----

dukkha

« Thread started on: Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:18pm »
    Hi, when I last did henro in 2010 I stayed in accommodation the night before I climbed to temple 20. It wasn't in the English guide book but was in the Japanese one that I've since lost. Wondering if anyone knows it and can send me the telephone number for it.

It was unique as it was a ryokan/minshuku that was made from a renovated multi-storied disused elementary school. Awesome place with awesome views...though a bit spooky at night.

Hope someone can help.

dukkha

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #1 on: Nov 4th, 2012, 06:39am »
    What you describe sounds exactly like Fureai No Sato Sakamoto, but that's long past the turn to T20 and is three-quarters of the way up the hill on the way up to B3. In any case, it is listed in both the English and Japanese guidebooks.

The only other two lodges listed in the Japanese guidebook are Minshuku Kaede and Kaneko-ya, and both of these are also listed in the English book.

Kanekoya is right at the bottom of the trail as you turn off the highway on the way up to T20. It is a typical minshuku, not a converted school. Kaede is just on the other side of the bridge across the river as you pass the turn up to T20 and continue towards B3. I don't recommend it (dirty and no food, luckily) and doubt that it was a converted school either.

I don't see anything listed in the Japanese guidebook that isn't in the English book. Did you walk up to B3? If so, it is probably Sakamoto. 0885-42-2110 in the 88 Route Guide. 0885-44-2110 in my Japanese guidebook.

On the other hand, i do see an Aoiki Ryokan listed in the 88 Route Guide that is only listed as Aoiki Shokudo in the Japanese book. That's about two-thirds of the way from T19 to the turn up to T20, so even before Kanekoya. If it's listed as a shokudo, i'm sure that's not a converted school.

Dave

=====

dukkha

« Reply #2 on: Nov 5th, 2012, 02:59am »
    Thanks Dave. Yes it was Sakamoto.....they picked me up near Kanekoya. Shuttled me back the next morning. Awesome place, great food and ofuro.

User IP

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm