Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

lodging between temples

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

lodging between temples

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:39 am

Originally posted by several members between February and May 2011.
    -----

jo3edc

« Thread started on: Feb 27th, 2011, 4:42pm »
    Hi
    I tend to think when I re-work text etc. So looking at the site http://www.shikokuhenrotrail.com/shikoku/templeInfoTokushima.html
    I made a spreadsheet of
    No Temple
    Name of Temple
    Lodging at Temple Y/N
    distance to temple (KM)
    where to sleep
    I can send it up if you wish.

My question is:
    I can add the distances between temples to get a "comfortable" walking day and I can ensure that the days of climbing I do less kilometers but - is it a general rule - that you will find accommodation around/near a temple? Or will it be possible to find accommodation between temples?
    Would I be able to send up the spreadsheet so that you (the community) would be able to advise on the do-ability per day?
    Jo

=====

Utsusemi

« Reply #1 on: Feb 28th, 2011, 06:05am »
    Hi Jo,
    (Presume you are one of the 3 'middle-aged women' who responded to my Luggage post)

I cannot really advise as to the distances to walk on a daily basis since I do not know your physical condition, and the time you have available but having read a few blogs of people who have walked the pilgrimage, none of them seem to have had specific plans for the entire journey, unless they are on a very strict schedule. Most of them do the planning the day in advance taking into account their physical condition at that moment. This is also the way I tend to walk. I only have planned upto day 2 of walking and all the rest I will decide the evening before using my map.

The Shikoku Japan 88 Route Guide (which I already have purchased) also indicates the location of places to stay and not all temples have accomodation nearby. Also, because we will be travelling in the main pilgrim season you may run out of options, I therefore also am prepared to go nojuku.

I plan to start walking on April 6th. I may start later and/or will have to take it very slowly at the start since I am currently recovering from an injury and will have to ensure I will not injure myself again or the pilgrimage will become a very short walk for me.

Take care, have fun in your preparation and we may run into one another.

A middle-aged woman travelling alone,
    Ingrid

=====

jo3edc

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28th, 2011, 2:48pm »
    Hello Ingrid
    (yes I am one of the 3 middle aged henro Smile
    I hope we do meet on the trail. I hadn't realised that it will be the busiest time on the henro trail.
    I suppose that I am asking so many questions because I do not have a concept of just how rural/city pavement we will be walking on. So I suppose my question is: Temple 6 to Temple 10 is 20.2 km - there is no accommodation at the temple, but can we assume there will be a choice of accommodation close to the temple? I do have the The Shikoku Japan 88 Route Guide but I have not looked at it in great depth - I will check tonight to see what it says about accommodation around (Kirihataji) Temple 10. I am finding the book a little intimidating smiley
    Jo

=====

robmix

« Reply #3 on: Mar 1st, 2011, 12:17am »
    I don't remember anything near 10, but I stayed close to Temple 9 in a new business hotel called Awa-Access. The people in the stamp office at 9 were incredibly helpful, and spoke a bit of english. Also, there is a great grocery right near the hotel so I stocked up for the next day, and had dinner from there as well. So my first day was T1-T9 (25km), day 2 was T10, T11, and I stayed in the cabin between 11 and 12 up in the mountains (22.5km). Day 3 was T12 and almost all the way to T13. I stayed in a B&B style hotel called Yasuragi (24.5km).

Hope that helps.

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2011, 9:46pm by robmix »

=====

dukkha

« Reply #4 on: Mar 1st, 2011, 07:42am »
    I tried to plan before I went. But things change believe me. Over the first week I learnt from other Henro to let go of my need for certainty and was booking day by day. Veteran Henro gave me advice on places to stay not in the book, and when places were full the inn owners always introduced an alternative. I found letting go of the need for certainty an essential part of my journey.

=====

E

« Reply #5 on: May 19th, 2011, 01:10am »
    The trail seems to weave its own magic. Once we let go of that 'need for certainty' that everyone mentions, it releases us to be more in touch with our intuition.
    There were so many times that I reached a stamp office right on closing time and had no idea whatsoever where I was going to stay that night. I would wander out of the temple grounds and follow my intuition.
    I either stumbled upon a lodging or someone who was able to help me. I was never once bedless.

The only difficulty I did have was phoning in advance. Many of the lodging owners weren't comfortable with gaijin - a few of my friends told me it was because they didn't know if we would be comfortable on tatami or like their food. I found it easier if someone booked for me. If I did get a sense of discomfort from an inn keeper, I would say I didn't need food (which is usually included) and that helped a lot.

Current date/time is Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:31 pm