Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

Good \ Bad Zenconyado experiences

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Good Bad Zenconyado experiences

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:10 am

Originally posted by several members between 2013 and 2015.
    -----

NoNihongo

« Thread started on: Nov 11th, 2013, 05:45am »
    Good....when there's a shower!
    Bad when your henro roomates smoke at night.

=====

cpetersky

« Reply #1 on: Mar 11th, 2014, 06:22am »
    Bad when there's no heat. I wore all my clothes, including outer wear -- including mittens! -- and still froze.

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11th, 2014, 11:55am »
    Smile

Reminds me of my last two bike trips. In 2011, it was in the upper 90°s every day as i pedaled south through Illinois and then west through Missouri. When the weather reports all kept saying that it would be, and stay, in the low 100°s through Kansas, i threw in the towel after two weeks, rented a car at the airport in Western Missouri, threw the bike in the back seat, and drove back home.

Last year, i was out wandering around northern Illinois for two weeks in August. August. So, obviously no need for a sleeping bag; if anything it will be hot again. All i took was a light blanket, the one i drape over my shoulders on chilly mornings when i meditate. It was freezing! Low temperatures each night in the lower 40°s. I think one night got into the 30°s. I cocooned under the blanket in every single piece of clothing i brought with me, including several riding shirts and rain coat, riding pants, regular pants, and rain pants, hat, and mittens. Then just get what sleep i could and pray the sun comes up early.
    Smile

Dave

=====

followingthearrows

« Reply #3 on: Nov 10th, 2014, 08:47am »
    Good when the owner notices you don't have any food for dinner and tells you about the obento shop around the corner where they give henro an obento dinner as osettai Smile
    (Hagyu-an, Niihama, after temple 64 Maegamiji)

I'm really starting to miss Shikoku, and actually thinking about walking it again!

Kat

=====

Simon

« Reply #4 on: May 9th, 2015, 4:19pm »
    Good when you get free lodging at a temple after following a wrong tip on the free lodging list
    Better when you get bread and jam and crackers as dinner as osettai
    Even better when a pilgrim-guide and the bus driver laugh because you are German, then giving you a beer as osettai

Bad when the temperature in the room is at 10 degress
    Even worse when the shower is freezing cold
    Better than both when you can enjoy the Onsen in the temple late night

Kat, not only you think about doing it again - and I am only at home for 3 weeks now!

Simon Smile

Current date/time is Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:34 pm