Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

5 days, counterclockwise from Matsuyama

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

5 days, counterclockwise from Matsuyama Empty 5 days, counterclockwise from Matsuyama

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:57 am

Originally posted by several members in October 2017.
    -----

smelltheroses

« Thread started on: Oct 16th, 2017, 9:35pm »
    End of next March I'll be walking a piece of the Henro path/taking train as necessary or advisable/ for 5 days. I'm starting in Matsuyama. On the 6th day I'll need to take a train back to Osaka. I wonder if anyone has favorite temples and minshuku to suggest along the northern route which would fit that path? I am a strong hiker, love being off the beaten path, and speak Japanese, if that helps. Thanks for any suggestions!

=====

tneva82

« Reply #1 on: Oct 17th, 2017, 01:37am »
    on Oct 16th, 2017, 9:35pm, smelltheroses wrote:
    End of next March I'll be walking a piece of the Henro path/taking train as necessary or advisable/ for 5 days. I'm starting in Matsuyama. On the 6th day I'll need to take a train back to Osaka. I wonder if anyone has favorite temples and minshuku to suggest along the northern route which would fit that path? I am a strong hiker, love being off the beaten path, and speak Japanese, if that helps. Thanks for any suggestions!

Well I haven't done the northern section yet(I have done temples 1-36) but from my plans 5 days should give you from Matsuyama to Yokomineji(temple 60) without too much trouble. Using public transports you might be able to trim enough time between temples 53 and 54 plus 59 and 60 that you might be able to take bus to get next to Unpenji(66) which is the tallest mountain in the pilgrimage(unless you count the extra bangai spot in Ishizuchi mountain) which might be more interesting if you prefer walking in mountains over highway along sea.

=====

smelltheroses

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17th, 2017, 09:01am »
    And for counterclockwise travel? We were hoping to head south/south east from Matsuyama, as we'll have come from Imabari (taking bikes across Shimanamikodo and then train to Matsuyama, then beginning to walk). Though your suggestions also are helpful, as maybe that's a more interesting route. But Kumagoen area looked interesting too - counterclockwise from Matsuyama looked possible -- have you explored that area?

=====

tneva82

« Reply #3 on: Oct 17th, 2017, 11:39am »
    on Oct 17th, 2017, 09:01am, smelltheroses wrote:
    And for counterclockwise travel? We were hoping to head south/south east from Matsuyama, as we'll have come from Imabari (taking bikes across Shimanamikodo and then train to Matsuyama, then beginning to walk). Though your suggestions also are helpful, as maybe that's a more interesting route. But Kumagoen area looked interesting too - counterclockwise from Matsuyama looked possible -- have you explored that area?

Not yet. 36 is on south-west of Shikoku or about 2 weeks or so walking to get to Matsuyama from where I will start. But from Matsuyama you could start from temple 51 and on direct route get to maybe temple 43. Or stop day sooner and do the bangai temple #7 which I have heard of lots of praise. Further from that it's lots of walking along highways along sea so maybe not one I would be considering area to hike if I was doing 5 day part.

For ~5 days I would be picking say temples 1-19 or so, Matsuyama clock or anti-clockwise or maybe starting from unpenji and continuing onward that allows lots of temples including birthplace of Kukai(well at least one according to legend. There's some arquments in favour of him being actually being born on his mother's birth area in main island) and the tallest mountain of the pilgrimage.

Problem with 1-19 or Unpenji onward being time it takes to get to starting point and from there to where you need to go to next.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:32 am