Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

How many days can I do all 88 temples using public

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

How many days can I do all 88 temples using public Empty How many days can I do all 88 temples using public

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:29 am

Originally posted by several members in June and July 2017.
    -----

Aprime

« Thread started on: Jun 1st, 2017, 4:21pm »
    I am looking to do this next year and want to know how many days I can do all 88 temples in

Thank you

=====

Aprime

« Reply #1 on: Jul 14th, 2017, 03:01am »
    Sorry I meant I want to use buses trains fir any real long Durante between temples

If it's a couple or few miles walk between certain temples I will walk but if it is double digit miles then I will use trains or buses

So I want to know how fast I can do it like this ?

=====

tneva82

« Reply #2 on: Jul 15th, 2017, 12:21am »
    on Jul 14th, 2017, 03:01am, Aprime wrote:
    Sorry I meant I want to use buses trains fir any real long Durante between temples

If it's a couple or few miles walk between certain temples I will walk but if it is double digit miles then I will use trains or buses

So I want to know how fast I can do it like this ?

Hmm i would walk tokushima almost completely. Bu candinatet would be 17 to 18 and then after 19 maybe to foothill of 20.(compared to my full walk save one day). Sleep there maybe and do 20, 21 and 22 on foot(bus might be faster but views are great). From 22 you could easily do 23 and 24 on same day(save 4 days though you could walk it faster but i had to slow down due to leg issues) with bus followed by walk to 26. Then bus to 27 and 28(save 1 day).

Next would be heading to 37 and 38. If start on morning you propably can do it in day. 140 km so like 4,5 days on foot so save 3.5 days say. 2,3 day save to 39.

So aftes kochi you might have saved about 10 days. Ehime saves about 10 days with kagawa like 1.5 days. So total 21 days so like tad short of 30 days?

Mind you i don't know about bus frequences which could slow you a bit and i assumed there's bus stop near temples.

Ehime long distanances are few and pretty much only 10 mileplus in kagawa is the last one.

« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2017, 12:44am by tneva82 »

=====

Aprime

« Reply #3 on: Jul 15th, 2017, 04:49am »
    Sorry so I can walk from 1 - 18 for example and after 30 odd walk all of them ?

=====

tneva82

« Reply #4 on: Jul 15th, 2017, 11:18am »
    on Jul 15th, 2017, 04:49am, Aprime wrote:
    Sorry so I can walk from 1 - 18 for example and after 30 odd walk all of them ?

First 17 temples are about 10km max between them. First real long distance between 2 temples is between 22 and 23 after which there are several 20 plus km distances.

=====

Aprime

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15th, 2017, 12:39pm »
    Ahh I see

Thank you so I will be using the trains after temples 17

Thank you

=====

tneva82

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16th, 2017, 1:27pm »
    on Jul 15th, 2017, 12:39pm, Aprime wrote:
    Ahh I see

Thank you so I will be using the trains after temples 17

Thank you

If you want but plenty close to each other temples after that like 20 to 22, 24 to 26, 29 to 35 are each fairly close to each other. Then on ehime after 40 again plenty undes 10km temples. In kagawa almost no over 10km distance between temples

=====

Aprime

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16th, 2017, 2:41pm »
    I am asking you a big favour from you

Can you please say write on the next post which temples I will walk and get bus or train please

I will walk a few miles from one to another like max 5 odd miles but anything longer I will get transport

Thank you

=====

tneva82

« Reply #8 on: Jul 17th, 2017, 03:24am »
    on Jul 16th, 2017, 2:41pm, Aprime wrote:
    I am asking you a big favour from you

Can you please say write on the next post which temples I will walk and get bus or train please

I will walk a few miles from one to another like max 5 odd miles but anything longer I will get transport

Thank you

That's lot of work and on phone too long to list but there's list of temples and distances in the site available. If its just distance that decides it that gives enough to make as good guess as i can. If you are looking at speed you would need to know bus schedules and whether you camp or not.

=====

TenaciousAC

« Reply #9 on: Jul 20th, 2017, 01:39am »
    Here's what I've found could be public transport shortcuts....

* T23 to T24 - You could catch the train from Hiwasa to the end of the line at Kanno-Ura, then a bus onto Muroto. Now, instead of travelling for 2 days, it might only take you about 2-3 hours.

* T27 to T28 - You could catch the train from Tonohama Station all the way into Kochi Station, then base yourself at a hotel for a few days and radiate out for a few days with a 'day pack' (as you do T28 to T35) - catch transport to spot near first temple of the day, walk between them, see if there's a bus/train/tram station nearby at the end of the day to come back in Kochi main area.

*T36 to T37 - There's a ferry on the northern side of the bridge north of T36. It's a local ferry where you can go from the bay opening all the way west to Uranouchi, it runs 4 times a day, takes an hour and costs about 650Y. If you were to walk it, it could take 3 hours.

*Still T36 to T37 - Once you've gotten off the ferry, keep walking to the Susaki Station (it's about 2kms/30 mins down the line but more trains and quicker trains) , then catch the train down to Kubokawa Station. If you're lucky, there are some express trains who do that distance in < 30 minutes (but cost about 1800Y). The difference however is that the walking distance between those two stations would be about 7-8 hours.

*T37 to T39 - Catch a train from Kubokawa Station to Nakamura Station, then a bus from Nakamura Station out to T38 and back (whenever that may be, if same day or not). And then catch another train from Nakamura Station to Hirata Station and walk to T39. You could do all that on trains in a day (maybe a day and a half). If you were walking it, it would be 135kms/85miles, which is a good 3-4 days of walking. You could even leave the bulk of your backpack in a locker at Nakamura Station and again, use a day pack to go on the bus down to T38 and back.

*T40 to Uwajima - There are some buses that stop in Ainan and travel onto Uwajima. The distance between these points is 40kms/24miles, so either an hour on a local bus or a good day's walking.

*T43 to T44 - Ok, this one is a long go-round, but could work. You get on the train at Unomachi Station and travel ALL the way into Matsuyama Station. You stay wherever you're staying and do public transport each day to see the temples. There's a bus that goes to Kuma-Kogen (so you can do a day-trip and do T44 and T45 and be back in Matsuyama by nightfall). Then you travel out to Kume Station and walk south to T46 and slowly work your way north until T51. At the end of T51, you walk to the Dogo-Onsen tram station and catch a tram back into town. Then for T52 & T53, you catch a train out to Takahama Station, walk to T52 and T53, then walk to Iyo-Wake Station and back into Matsuyama Station.

* T53 to T54 - Simply catch a train/bus from Matsuyama Station to Imabari Station. It should take no longer than an hour, but to walk it would easily take a day's travel.

« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2017, 02:00am by TenaciousAC »

=====

Aprime

« Reply #10 on: Jul 20th, 2017, 02:12am »
    Yo thanks man

I save th above text for when I walk

Seriously once again thank you very much

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:24 am