Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

Public transportation from KIX

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Public transportation from KIX

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:15 am

Originally posted by several members in September 2016.
    -----

Tominrm

« Thread started on: Sep 17th, 2016, 05:09am »
    I swear that I have read more than once in this forum about the options for public transportation to Tokushima incluing bus schedule. I am in my final stage of planning, but I can't find it.
    Basically I arrive in KIX about noon. Need to go to the Temple 1 to sleep for the night. If a bus takes me to Tokushima (bus gets on the ferry) that would be great.
    Depending up where I arrive in Tokushima, I will make a reservation. It seems to me there are two recommended places to sleep: Oshikoku, and the one in or near Naruto ( i can't find this info either - i swear I saw recommendations here)
    Or if anyone has any other recommendation (transportation and the first night) I would appreciate.
    I am budget conscious, but i do not have to camp in order to save money.

=====

clarksm67

« Reply #1 on: Sep 17th, 2016, 08:57am »
    I took the bus direct to Tokushima from KIX because the ferry wasn't available (big waves). I stayed at a guest house that is 3 min walk from the Tokushima train station. I cant remember the name. On the 6th floor of the train station is an information service for international people. They speak English and they booked the guesthouse for me. Hope this helps a little

=====

Tominrm

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17th, 2016, 1:32pm »
    Thank you. So there are buses going from KIX to Tokushima, but how? I thought the bus itself gets on a ferry, but I guess it goes around to cross over a bridge. Taking the ferry takes two transfers (3 rides) to get to the ferry dock. So I will probably take a bus.
    If I can't or decided not to make a reservation before I leave home, it looks like I can book a room after I get to Tokushima.

=====

clarksm67

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17th, 2016, 4:09pm »
    There are signs (English) at KIX for ground transportation.
    There is an information area where you can buy tickets. 1 of the 4 people spoke English. I just pointed on a map where I wanted to go. The bus did go over a bridge, it was around 4000 Yen. When you get to the Tokushima Station go to the 6th floor International Information centre if your going to stay in Tokushima. They will help you find accommodation. Or you can leave from the Station and go to Bando Station and start your Henro. GOOD LUCK

=====

Scott

« Reply #4 on: Sep 20th, 2016, 01:59am »
    http://www.shikokuhenrotrail.com/shikoku/planningHowToGetThere.html

Is that where you read on how to get from KIX to Tokushima?

From Kansai International Airport (KIX)
    • You can take a bus directly from the airport to Tokushima Eki Mae ("In Front of Tokushima Station"), the bus station directly in front of the Tokushima JR train station in downtown Tokushima City.

Depart from the International Arrival Lobby on the first floor.
    Buses run fairly regulary, starting at 8:30 am, with the last bus leaving the airport at 9:20pm.
    One way service costs ¥4,100 and takes 2 hrs, 45 min.
    Departure from outside Terminal 1.
    Tickets can be purchased from vending machines located near the bus stop.
    Timetable
    Location of bus stop at KIX
    • If you want to spend the night in Ōsaka before heading to Tokushima, here is the schedule for the bus going from Ōsaka International Airport (KIX) to downtown Ōsaka. It departs from Boarding Area #5 and costs ¥1,300. You can take the JR West train for just a little less (if you take the Rapid Express and not the Limited Express) and trains run every 20 minutes. The Nankai line also has a service from the airport with two trains an hour and is by far the cheapest price, costing only ¥890 to Nanba Station.

=====

clarksm67

« Reply #5 on: Sep 20th, 2016, 11:14am »
    I didn't read that. When I showed up at KIX I just followed the signs to Ground Transportation. There is also a Information booth/Ticket Counter (English) if you cant figure out the vending machines.

=====

Tominrm

« Reply #6 on: Sep 21st, 2016, 4:18pm »
    Thank you, Scott. I think that's where I read the info a few months ago. Now I have to figure out where I should stay. I think close to Temple 1 would be nice.

Current date/time is Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:43 am