Pilgrimage On Shikoku Island

Online forum for discussions related to the 88 temple pilgrimage on Shikoku, Japan.

Local Buses

Shikoku Henro Trail
    Admin

Local Buses

Post by Shikoku Henro Trail on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:09 am

Originally posted by several members in October 2013.
    -----

John Formosa

« Thread started on: Oct 7th, 2013, 08:56am »
    Is there a website (or websites) for checking out local bus schedules in Shikoku?

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #1 on: Oct 11th, 2013, 4:38pm »
    Ooops, i forgot to respond to this earlier in the week. Sorry.

Yes, some/many/most of the bus companies have their schedules on line. I've found them and used them on a couple of occasions. It just takes some time with Google and perseverance.

Can you read enough Japanese to do that?

If you have an iOS device, there is an app called バス停 (Basu Tei, in Japanese, in case that kanji doesn't work here). That means Bus Stop, and you can find bus stops anywhere in the country. I think by following the links you find when tapping on one of the bus stops, it takes you to the appropriate web site with an online schedule.

Dave

=====

John Formosa

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25th, 2013, 05:07am »
    Dave,

Yes, I can read place names pretty easily. Thanks for the tip re: バス停. I will check it out.

In the meantime, I found that some of the bus times I needed were already printed in the *88 Route Guide* -- duh...

John

=====

Shikoku Henro Trail

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25th, 2013, 11:24am »
    I wasn't worried about your ability to read place names, but Japanese in general. If you can, i'll let you do the google search for the bus web sites. If you couldn't, i was going to offer to help. But, to be honest, i'm glad i don't have to. Smile

Yes, when you dig, the guidebook has a lot of information we usually just skip over. Each temple description tells you how to get there by public transportation.

Dave

=====

John Formosa

« Reply #4 on: Oct 26th, 2013, 11:31pm »
    Hey, that ios app for buses & schedules is exactly what i was looking for. You're the best, Dave.

Yeah, about my Japanese. It is weak. I have survival skills to get around. Let's say I know a few hundred words, can read the kana, and know almost all the characters (but imperfectly) via Chinese. I do okay, but when i get into a lengthy conversation, I can quickly lose the thread -- assuming i had hold of it in the first place.

For "busu tei" I have enough to work things out. My problem is phone reservations. After a few words, some places, especially in the southern part of the island or away from the cities, easily catch on to my foreign voice and often are "full" or "closed" for the evening.

Once i caught on to the anxiety my telephone Japanese was causing for some, I started asking other henro or inn keepers at places I stayed to help me call for the next night. Once these helpful friends started vouching for me, i haven't had any difficulties.

John

Current date/time is Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:18 am